Sunday, June 26, 2011

Because God Cares for Us

Today was an interesting day. My Sunday School class was asked to recite scriptures. Everyone was expected to know a scripture to share with the Sunday School. There was a time when I could not commit scripture to memory, but today, the scripture that I had memorized was 1 Peter 5:7 which states, "Give your burdens to the Lord because He cares for you."

Sometimes it is hard to believe the Word of God, but I do know this, that God cannot lie. So if he says to give your burdens to him, you can and should do just that. Some translations say to "carry your cares to Him." Carry or give, I am glad that the Word of God has provided a means by which I can take my burdens to the Lord. Another translation says, "cast all your anxiety on him." I think I like this version better because I have much anxiety. I know I shouldn't and I know that when you do, you are saying you do not trust God. I sometimes walk a thin line, bordering what I know God's Word says and what I have applied to my life.

My Pastor preached about the storms of life and I think right now with the economy being what it is and people without jobs and can't pay their mortgages, we all are going through a storm. The good thing is we are "going through" the storm. We aren't going to be in it forever. God always provides a way out of a storm. We have to believe and trust in His Word which is an anchor for us. Sometimes these storms in our life are to get our attention. God demands our full attention. He is a jealous God that does not want to share our affections with anything or anyone but himself.

Psalm 55:22 says "Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you, He will never let the righteous fall." Again, the Word of God assures us that we can cast our cares on the Lord and He will support us with His mighty hand. God cares for us! The fact that God cares for me is very comforting to me.

Sometimes just look up the words of scripture. In Webster's dictionary, the word, "sustain," says 1) to keep in existence, maintain or prolong; 2) to provide sustenance for; 3) to carry the weight of; support; 4) to endure, withstand; 5) to to uphold the validity; and 7) to confirm; corroborate. I didn't realize that "sustain" could have so many meanings, but again, what is comforting is the fact I can depend on God, and His Word says that I can cast my burdens on Him. Wow! This gets deep.

I have said this before that what God expects of us is obedience. Are you one of God's righteous ones? Are you striving to internalize God's Word in your heart? Are you living to serve God and no one else? Stick close to God and He will stick close to you.

Thought for Today: How great is it that we have a God who cares for us and will uphold us with His righteous hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment