Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Faithfulness of God

I have been feeling a little despondent lately. It seems like the trials of this world are getting next to me. Too many ups and downs. Trying to figure out how to stop getting down and how to stay up more.

I am reminded of a traditional church hymn that says that God is faithful. Some of you might sing this song in your home church. The song is entitled Great Is Thy Faithfulness. This song really speaks to my spirit.

The first stanza goes like this:

"Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not.
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

You know, God never changes, His position stays the same. We change our position often and move away from God, but God never moves away from us.

I guess I get low or down, when I change my position and move away from God.

1 Corinthians 1:9 tells me that, "God, who has called you into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord, is faithful." This should be adequate enough, huh?

It is easy to fall out of fellowship with God when we get caught up in our own l problems and forgetting to let go of our problems and trust God.

I noticed that when I take my eyes off of Jesus and on to myself, I start doubting that God is faithful.

I know that God does not love me less today just because I may have step away today. The song says "thou changest not, thy compassions, they fail not."

God's love is based on Himself. He is love. His love for me has nothing to do with me. That means I can depend on His love because it is based on Him.

We know that when we confess our sinfulness, admitting that we "all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God, He is faithful and will forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

The Apostle Paul told the Thessalonians that "the very God of peace will santify you wholly, and that is His faithfulness, not ours, but the Lord is faithful to those who He calls.

I am thankful that He called me into fellowship with His Son Jesus Christ, our Lord!

Thought for Today: God won't let us down. Pick yourself up!

No comments:

Post a Comment