Saturday, August 7, 2010

What is a Forgiving Spirit?

I want to talk a little about forgiveness. Most times, however, forgiveness is a slow process. We are a sensitive people with a lot of pride and when we forgive, we let our guard down so we think. Actually, when we forgive, we are doing what God commands. What God wants from us is obedience.

A forgiving spirit is not just a person who says I forgive you for the sake of saying I forgive you, but a forgiving spirit is a person who lets the incident go. It is a person who trusts God to handle the situation.

The best reason to forgive is because Jesus commanded us to forgive. We learn from the Scripture, if we don't forgive, neither will we be forgiven. Matthew 6:14-16 says, "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father (God) will not forgive your sins."

Maybe we don't care if our sins are forgiven. For me, I do care. I guess I am blessed that I don't hold grudges. I may get upset for a couple of days, but I am fortunate that I can let it go. Letting go is crucial because when you can't forgive, you harbor bitterness and anger. Both are very bad for you. It not only offends God, but it will make you sick!

When you can't forgive, you might try praying for that person you need to forgive. We can pray for God to deal with the injustices, for God to judge the person's life, and then we can leave that prayer at the altar.

For almost forty years of my life, I could not forgive a person for what they had done to me. I stayed very sick and had nightmares. I just couldn't let it go, but when Jesus came into my life, I gave it to him because He said I could.

Luke 6:37 says "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven." The Scriptures are replete with wisdom about the necessity of forgiveness.

Even though forgiveness is not easy for us, it is good for us. It's not a one time choice and then we automatically live in a state of forgiveness. Forgiveness may require a lifetime of forgiving, but it is important to the Lord. We must continue forgiving until the matter is settled in our heart.

Thought for Today: God knows our heart. Forgive and mean it! Live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment