Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hated By the World

I have often thought about my life as a Christian. I find that most of my friends and acquaintances are those with whom I attend church. Since I got saved, I have discovered there are others with whom I have known for a while that are also Christians. This is very comforting to me. I am not an oddity all by myself.

It is good to have a church home and a place where you can fellowship with other Christians. A place where you are taught the Word of God and encouraged in your walk.

I want to draw your attention to the book of John again. My women's bible study is currently studying the book of John and it is a reminder to me how much I had missed the first time I studied the book. I encourage all believers to go back and read this book again. It is the book that most pastors and preachers of the Word encourage new believers to begin, with this book.

Christ is praying for his disciples and all believers are disciples of Christ. He says in John 17:13-17, "I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. I have given them your Word and the world has hated them for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world, even as I am not of it. Sanctify them by the truth; your Word is truth."

Joy was a common theme in Christ's teachings --- he wanted his disciples to be joyful. He promised the disciples that even though he would have to leave them, he would also see them again and when he returned, they should rejoice, and no one would take away their joy.

Did you ever hear that expression, "don't let them steal your joy!" I say this all the time to my children and grandchildren. The world is selfish and in their selfishness if you are not a part of the "in" crowd, the world will try to steal the joy you have in being a Christian. The world is a friend of Satan. The world desires to make you jealous of what they are doing or what they have. Don't fall for it! It is all propaganda.

The joy a Christian has is in Jesus, in others, and in yourself. That is the joy that Christ desired for us to have. I am often told at my women's bible study by one of the ladies who says to me, "I just like saying your name, Joy." She doesn't realize how much encouragement I get from her for saying that and I feel bless that she also receives something from saying my name.

My commentary says that the key to immeasurable joy is living in intimate contact with Christ, the source of all joy. When we do, we will experience God's special care and protection and see the victory God brings even when defeat seems certain."

It continues by saying that "the world hates Christians because Christians' values differ from the world and because Christ's followers do not cooperate with the world by joining in their sin.

A follower of Christ becomes sanctified (set apart for for sacred use, cleansed and made holy) through believing and obeying the Word of God (Hebrews 4:12). Daily application of God's Word has a purifying effect on our minds and hearts. Scripture points out our sin and motivates us to confess; renews our relationship with Christ; and guides us back to the right path.

Jesus didn't ask God to take believers out of the world but instead to use them in the world. We were created to do the will and work of God, but first and foremost, we must study and know the Word of God, so that we can be ready in season and out of season.

The world's values are often the opposite of God's values. This can cause Christians to feel like misfits. But even if life is difficult now, one day we will rejoice. Keep your eye on the future and on God's promises.

Thought for Today: Take comfort in knowing that you are not of the world, but in it. God's plan will be revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment