Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What Good is Worry?

I am probably one of the biggest worriers there is. I have tried very hard to trust God in this area, but still I worry.

There are several scriptures that remind us that we are to leave all the details of our life to God. We are to trust God with all our circumstances. So, why do I still worry and what good is it anyway? I hope you can answer that question because I am still struggling with it. I am better than what I was 10 years ago or even 5 years ago. However, today's worries about my family are still plaguing me but I do know what the Bible says.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matthew 6:34) Now this scripture is definitely hitting it on the nail. Each day has enough trouble of its own, and what can I do by worrying?

The things I know about worry are these and I have certainly had my share. Because of the ill effects of worry, Jesus tells us not to worry about those needs that God promises to supply. Worry may:

1) damage your health; 2) cause the object of your worry to consume your thoughts; 3) disrupt your productivity; 4) negatively affect the way your treat others; and 5) reduce your ability to trust God.

Guilty, I am guilty of all of the above. What about you? Has worry affected you in any of these areas?

The Bible goes on to say that we should "Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you." (1 Peter 5:7) Carrying your worries, stresses, and daily struggles by yourself shows that you have not trusted God fully with your life. The Bible says, "He cares for us" and that is one more reason why we should not worry. We have a loving Father who knows and sees all our concerns. He has promised to "never leave or forsake us."

Planning for tomorrow is time well spent, worrying about tomorrow is time wasted. Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference.

Careful planning is thinking ahead about goals, steps and schedule and trusting in God's guidance. When done well, planning can help alleviate worry.

Worriers, by contrast, are consumed by fear and find it difficult to trust God. They let there plans interfere with their relationships with God. We are reminded often, to "let go, and let God." This is where we start, with God. Let God have your troubles, for He controls the present and the future.

Thought for Today: Don't let worries about tomorrow affect your relationship with God today.

1 comment:

  1. Joy, I'm a worrier also. Then I think to myself..."Be still and know that I am God."

    ReplyDelete