Friday, March 12, 2010

How Is Your Stability?

We are in tumultuous times when everything seems uncertain. However, the Bible tells us that keeping our minds on God will help our stability. When you learn to trust in God, the result is perfect peace. Yet, there are many Christians who don't have this peace.

At times my own peace wavers, but does this mean I am a bad Christian because I don't have perfect peace. No, of course not; it means I took my focus off of God and allowed the things of the world to distract me.

There are several definitions of peace but I chose this one: "peace is a state of mental calm and serenity without any anxiety." Yesterday I wrote about the Word of God that reminds us to not be anxious about anything.

The book of James 1:5 states that "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways." A steadfast man is necessary in order to function in God's perfect peace.

A "double minded" man is a man of no fixed, decided purpose. When we fail to know our purpose, we are like a person with two minds, always hesitating. The bible makes it clear that we cannot not have two gods. We must either serve God or serve the world; we can't serve both.

When we concentrate on the things of God, we have victory in our lives because we learn how to keep a steadfast mind. When we concentrate on the world, our minds are swishy, washy; going in this or that direction; having no purpose.

You probably know a lot of people who keep messing up their lives, and most of the times, they want to blame something or someone for it. And why is that? It is because they don't keep a steadfast mind. They are subject to change depending on what is popular at the time or they are easily swayed by what others are doing.

Keeping our minds stayed on God is important because it means your mind is not subject to change. You have a firm belief. You have a purpose in life.

Rick Warren wrote the book, The Purpose Driven Life, and this book was such an eye opener for me. I recommend it to anyone reading this blog because when we understand why God created us and then understand that He created us for His purpose then it gives us some purpose. Quoting from his book, he says" You are not an accident. Even before the universe was created, God had you in mind, and he planned you for his purposes."

I never thought about God's purposes until I started reading and studying the Bible. Before I understood that I was made by God and for God, my life never made much sense. I was a double minded person going from this to that. No real purpose.

When your mind is steadfast, then it is firmly fixed in place. Isaiah 26:3 says, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." Though we seem engulfed in our troubles and the trials of life can get us depressed, we must keep our minds on God and His purposes. We have a Saviour who cares for us and has promised not to foresake or leave us.

Thought for Today: Keep your mind stayed on God and His principles, so you will have direction and perfect peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment