Monday, January 11, 2010

Be Careful of the "G" Word!

Good Morning! I will be taking Sundays off from writing but today I want to start right on in because this subject has been on my mind all weekend. Please forgive me, I don't dot every "i," or cross every "t," I just try to share what's on my mind.

The mouth, so I have been told, is one of the dirtiest part of the body. The mouth, as I heard Evangelist Joyce Meyers say, carries life or death in it. Words of encouragement or words of discouragement. I never knew how dangerous the mouth was until I learned how to be quiet and just listen to everything and everyone around me.

When I was younger, I had my mouth going all the time, and would engage in a lengthy conversation sometimes. As I matured, I find that after 5 or 10 minutes ,I have had enough of a conversation, or at least, my participation in it. Occasionally, I will talk longer if the Word of God is being discussed. Mostly I am quiet now and want to hear what others are saying.

That big "G" word is dangerous! GOSSIP! I was reading in the notes of my Bible and it stated that the Hebrew word for "gossip" is "whispering that is damaging; one who reveals secrets; one who goes about as a talebearer or scandal-monger." Proverbs 26:28 states this, "...wherever there is no talebearer, strife ceases." Gossip keeps trouble going and their are many who gossip who enjoy trouble and what it does to another person.

A gossiper lacks self-control, and when you lack self-control, you lack self-esteem. A person who gossips cannot like themself or any one else.

The Bible encourages us to run from evil. We should run from a person who gossips.

I have seen the damaging effects of gossip. I have seen friends and family members talk about each other. Your own family member will lie on you! Ouch! That hurts.

Gossip is a contagious, infectious disease. It just spreads all out of control; the story gets twisted and it is never truthful. As Christians we need to strive for the truth. We can't control our mouths on our own, but with God's help and strength, we can try to stop.

The real bad thing about gossip is that the person who is gossiping cannot see their own imperfections. They believe that they are perfect. The Bible tells us that Jesus Christ was the only perfect person that God created. Proverbs 30:12-13 states that "there are people who are pure in their own eyes, but are not washed from their own dirt."

Isaiah 5:21 says, "it is bad for those who are wise in their own eyes, and who think they know a lot!"

Gossip makes one person feel more superior than another or more superior to another.

A gossiper is a person who has privileged information about people and proceeds to reveal that information to those who have no business knowing it. Gossip is distinguished from sharing information in two ways:

1. Intent. Gossipers often have the goal of building themselves up by making others look bad and exalting themselves as some kind of repositories of knowledge.

2. The type of information shared. Gossipers speak of the faults and failings of others, or reveal potentially embarrassing or shameful details regarding the lives of others without their knowledge or approval. Even if they mean no harm, it is still gossip.

In the book of Romans, the Apostle Paul reveals the sinful nature and lawlessness of mankind, stating how God pour out His wrath on those who rejected His laws. Because they had turned away from God's instruction and guidance. He gave them over to their sinful natures. The list of sins includes gossips and slanderers (Romans 1:29b-32). We see from this passage how serious the sin of gossip is and that it characterizes those who are under God's wrath.

If you see your mouth causing you to sin, you should just close it. Keep it shut.

The Bible tells us that a "a perverse man stires up dissension, and a gossip separates close friends." (Proverbs 16:28) Many a friendship has been ruined over a misunderstanding that started with gossip. Those who engage in this behavior do nothing but stir up trouble and cause anger, bitterness, and pain among friends. Sadly, some people thrive on this and look for opportunities to destroy others. And when such people are confronted, they deny the allegations and answer with excuses and rationalizations. They can't see the wrong they are doing and rather than admit wrongdoing, they blame someone else or attempt to minimize the seriousness of the sin. "A fool's mouth is his undoing, and his lips are a snare to his soul. The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts." Proverbs 18:7-8

I watched a woman who was celebrating her 110th birthday on television the other day, and they asked her the key to her longetivity and she said, "Mind your business, and go to church!" Maybe longetivity is not your thing, but since we can't control how long we are to live, I think she gave some good advice.

Thought for today: May we all follow the Bible's teaching on gossip by keeping our mouths shut unless it is necessary and appropriate to speak. Try to focus on God more and less on yourself or others. Just mind your business and go to church!


No comments:

Post a Comment