Saturday, January 30, 2010

Ever Felt Like Running Away?

Matthew 11:28-29 says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in my heart, and you will will find rest for your soouls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

There have been times in my life that I just wanted to give up. I just had enough! Sometimes the burdens of life just take over. I have felt frustrated, suffocated, and disgusted. Have you ever felt that way? Enough is enough, right? I felt if I could just get away from my husband, my kids, my job, I would get better. I would feel better, I would think better. Not true. Where ever we run or go, we take our burdens and baggage with us! We have to find relief before we go anywhere and from where does that relief come?

The word of God makes it clear that when you want to run away from your troubles, you can run to God. This is so amazing because God tells us that we can lay our burdens, our troubles before Him and leave them there. You can trust Him and receive the gift of eternal life He offers you. He will give you peace; give you rest.

A "yoke" is a heavy wooden harness that fits over the shoulders of an ox or oxen. It is attached to a piece of equipment that the oxen are to pull. There are things in life that will make you feel like you have a yoke around your neck.

A person may be carrying heavy burdens because of : (1) sin; (2) excessive demands of religious leaders; (3) family life; (4) persecution; (5)verbal or physical abuse; (6) or weariness in search of God.

Jesus frees us from all these burdens. The rest that Jesus promises is love, healing and peace with God. A relationship with God changes meaningless, wearisome toil into spiritual productivity and purpose. God encourages us to take His yoke upon us and learn from Him because He will give us rest for our souls.

The one thing I know for sure is that in Matthew 6:34, it says, " Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

God will give us sufficient strength each day for the challenges of that day...and that day only!

Thought for Today: If you are stressed and overwhelmed today, check your strength supply. Know that you can run to God and lay your burdens before Him. He will give you rest and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment