Saturday, January 9, 2010

Need a Breakthrough?

I am not very good at keeping New Year's resolutions. My intentions are always good, but by February, I am back to the same old business as usual. Have you ever wondered why resolutions are so hard to keep? Well, in my case, I lack discipline.

I would like a breakthrough in some areas of my life. One of the ways to get a breakthrough is to pray. The Bible tells us to pray without ceasing. Now I am pretty faithful in the area of praying; I have made it a habit of praying daily.

Well, let me confess, as confession is good for the soul. I have also enjoyed eating food and I have made alot of excuses for doing it. Somehow as I age, eating has become a detriment. It has affected my health, my weight, and sometimes has been too much of an occupation with me. I can't seem to stay out of the grocery stores. Love grocery stores. But this year, I am trying to turn over a new leaf.

There is a book I have started reading by Jentezen Franklin, a well known author and pastor of a church in Georgia. His book is entitled "Fasting," and I will be quoting from his book.

I have read other booklets on fasting, and tried it for about 6 months or more, for just one day of the week and was slightly successful. In Dr. Colbert's book on "Toxic Relief" states, "We may be actually starving from a nutrional standpoint, while at the same time becoming grossly obese...Sadly, we really are digging our graves with our forks and knives!"

Dr. Colbert states that "fasting is a dynamic key to cleansing your body from a lifetime collection of toxins, reversing overnourishment and the diseases it brings and ensuring a wonderful future of renewed energy, vitality, longevity, and blessed health."

I have seen Dr. Colbert several times on Christian television. He sells lots of books on the subject of dieting and has a good medical practice treating people with eating problems.

One of the things I like about Pastor Franklin's book is that he recommends fasting in the beginning of the year, in the month of January, for 21 days. Now I do real good with diets and resolutions in the month of January so maybe this is something I need to try. I want to cleanse my body, which is the temple of God, from all those toxins I keep digesting. I need to crucify my flesh and depend on God more.

Pastor Franklin says in his book, "Supposedly, there are three reasons starting the year with a fast is a good practice. First, by doing so, you set the course for the rest of the year. Just as beginning your day with prayer sets the course for the rest of the day and covers anything that may happen, the same is true of beginning the year with a fast. Secondly, "blessings will happen for you and your family throughout the year because you fasted in January." The third point is so powerful. When you fast at the beginning of the year and pray, you release the principle found in Matthew 6:33: "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.""

I am really going to see if I can put his suggestions into practice because I have seen how gluttony has hurt many people. The Bible speaks of many who were hurt as a result of their love for food. Adam and Eve, Esau, and the Jews wandering around in the desert.

The discipline of fasting releases the anointing, the favor, and the blessing of God in the life of a Christian.

Biblical fasting is refraining from food for a spiritual purpose. Fasting has always been a normal part of a relationship with God. Sometimes when we need a breakthrough and we aren't able to do it ourselves, we must seek the help of the Holy Spirit and do like King David did, in Psalm 42:1, he says "As the deer pants for the water brook, so pants my soul for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God."

Thought for the day: If you seek God first in the year, get ready for all those "things" to be added to your life throughout the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment