Friday, February 12, 2010

A Test of Faith

Quite often I find myself getting discouraged. I remember when I got saved, December 1998, when the Holy Spirit led me to Jesus Christ. It wasn't that I didn't know of Jesus, I just didn't have a relationship with Him until that time.

In my Christian walk, I try to led others to Christ. Often I am disappointed because I think my leading should automatically led others to Christ. It took me a whole year, mostly listening to Joyce Meyers, whose own Christian walk, seemed similar to mine. I am just giving her a plug here because it was at the moment I saw her on television that I picked up my Bible that was laying next to my bed gathering dust. I listened to her for a whole year to see if the Word of God and what she was saying was true.

I remember someone saying this and I quote, " this book will keep you from sin or sin will keep you from this book." How profound is that? The Bible which is our basic guide before leaving earth would actually keep me from sin! I didn't have a clue what that meant until I got into a good bible study program. I was indeed a sinner in need of a Saviour!

The scriptures say in Psalm 119:105 that "Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." It means that the Bible will be our guide and keep us away from darkness. When we are walking in darkness, we are walking in sin.

My bible commentary says, "to walk safely in the woods at night, we need a light so we won't trip over tree roots or fall into holes. In this life, we walk through a dark forest of evil. But the bible can be our light to show us the way ahead so we won't stumble as we walk."

The Word of God comes to change our lives and gives us some order and meaning to our life.

Proverbs 6:23 goes on to say that "God's commands are a lamp, His teaching is a light and His correction of discipline are a way of life. Psalm 19:8 says "the precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes."

Often when we thingk of laws, we think of something that is burdensome, something that keeps us from having fun. God's commands help us to have purpose, order, discipline, joy to our heart, gives light to our eyes, warns us and rewards us. That is because God's laws are guidelines on how we should live while we are here on earth and it lights our path so we don't' stumble as we go down the path of life.

Thought for Today: Study the Bible so you will be able to see your way clear enough to stay on the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment