Wednesday, February 10, 2010

We Are Called To Love

Many people use the word "Love" in different ways:

I love my car
I love my job (might not hear this one too often)
I love my house
I love my wife/huband
I love to play golf
I love my cat/dog

The word "love" is one of the most widely used, misued or abused word in daily conversation. It is also used very casually. Be cautious of those who say they love this or that.

We are called to love God and people. In the gospel of Mark 12:30-31, Jesus said,
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." Matthew 5:43 says "Love your neighbor as yourself." There are no great commandments than these two. In both, we are to exalt God and our neighbor, not ourselves!

God's laws are not burdensome and He reminds us that His yoke is easy. God's laws can be reduced to two simple principles: love God and love others. When you love God completely and care for others as yourself, then you have fulfilled the intent of the 10 commandments and other Old Testament laws. According to Jesus, these two commandments summarize all of god's laws.

The "love" that Jesus expects of us is spiritual and transcends our daily activities, likes and dislikes. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, scriptures that many of us are familiar or so be familiar, provides a comprehensive view of "love.' I encourage you to read it. It is what love is not and tells what it should be.

So, do we love according to the world or do we love the way God commands? The world loves everything materia and have become attached to them. Material things are blessings from God for us to enjoy (1 Timothy 6:17). God gives us things to enjoy them but not to love them!

We are only to love God, and we are to do it with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. and in so loving God completely, we are commanded to love our neighbor as we love ourselves.

When you think you cannot love, seek the Word because the World is looking at you!

Thought for Today: When you are uncertain about what to do, ask yourself which cause of action best demonstrates love for God and love for others.

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment